1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

Accepted Theo's Builder app

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Theo92160_, Dec 20, 2016.

?

Am I ready to join Brawl's build team?

1. Yes

81.3%
  2. +0

12.5%
  3. No (tell me why, please)

6.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. Theo92160_

Theo92160_ Worldedit's axe > Guns > Swords

Ratings:
    +382
    Discord:
    Scylla#7686
    Hello everyone!
    Before reading my application, you should know that English is not my mother tongue, I'm French, so be aware that my application is not the most detailed and well written possible, but I still spend a lot of time and efforts writing it.

Minecraft Username -
    My IGN's Theo92160_ , I changed it once from Theo92160. I have no alternative accounts.

Timezone -
    CET/CEST (GMT+1/UTC+1), France.

Would you consider yourself experienced with WorldEdit? Why? -
    Yes, I considerate myself experienced with Worldedit, I use it quite often, but sometime I enjoy making things by hand and not touching my wooden axe. I know all the commands, and their utilities. I've been using Worldedit for two years.

Would you consider yourself experienced with VoxelSniper? Why? -
    I'm unfortunately not experienced with VoxelSniper, as I never could test it. If experience in this plugin is really required, I'll try to learn the commands, that's for sure.

How active would you be on Brawl's Build Team? (A couple hours per week, one hour per day, etc.) -
    A couple of hours a week.

Why do you want to join Brawl's Build Team? -
    Tricky question. I've a lot of answers for you. First of all, I love to build in Minecraft. I started to build houses since I bought the game, in April 2013 (1.5 Redstone Update times) They were bad, nobody will make you a mind blowing castle on his first experience, but I enjoyed a lot building them. From those moments, I understood that building was my strength, not survival, not Redstone contraptions, building every sort of things. Back in 2013, I was not a lot on the servers, always building in solo. I remember that I played on mcctf.com a little, but I discovered Brawl well after, (end of 2014). I became addicted to the servers, mainly War.
    It bring us to the second answer, I want to help Brawl. This server has one of the best community in Minecraft, but the network is loosing a lot of players. I want to help you with my greatest strength, building.
    Concerning the third answer, it's simple, since I finished MLGdrop, I have nothing to do beside playing PvP. Another reason is that I really like to have feedback on my builds, I always accept every criticism, positive or negative, so be a part of the build team can help me to build better. I could also meet some people, and maybe make some new friends!

What would you consider your greatest strength with building? (Detailing, Terraforming, Houses, Trees, Statues, etc.) -
    In building, I'm experienced with:
    - Any kind of structures, houses, buildings

- flying things, including islands, planes, helicopters, spaceships...

- Buildings related to civilizations, time periods: Pyramids, any kind of temples, castles, and ruins.

- Boats: I'm watching the videos of a French boat youtuber since I started to play Minecraft, I learned a lot of ways to make a boat better (mainly the hull and sail's shape, the details). Unfortunately, I didn't build a lot of them, but I know all the requirements to make a good ship.

- Bridges: From the simple cobblestone bridge to the big futuristic bridge, I'm ok with that!

- paths: I always make sure of what kind of pathway i need to build, a unstructured one, or a more structured path. They always use a big variety of blocks and got a detailed hedge.

I'm also a pretty good jump builder.

What would you consider your greatest weakness with building? (Detailing, Terraforming, Houses, Trees, Statues, etc.) -
    In building, I'm inexperienced with:
    - Medieval style: Yup. I'm the only Minecraft builder who can't build medieval. I tried to build a medieval house for this app, look yourself, but it's not my cup of tea.
    - Steampunk style: Same as medieval.

Three important things I want to class anyway:
    - Terraforming
    - Organics
    - Detailing
    Just three things which I couldn't fit in any category, because I'm not good and not bad with those. You'll see on the pictures.

List any previous experience you have with building -
    This question isn't really precise. Should I list my previous builds, how did I learn building? I imagine that "experience" means everything at one. So, as started above, I started playing Minecraft by building things such as houses, cities, roller coaster... in solo. My building skills quickly became better, mainly because of build youtubers (Keralis, AndyIsYoda, Grian and a lot of French ones). They inspired me to build. I've participated to a build contest in September 2015 (more details after), but I unfortunately didn't win, mainly because of my activity, but clearly more because some builders were better than me. I've learn a lot of this contest. Right after, me and my friend decided to create an adventure map, we've called it MLGdrop. We made the map in 15 months, 31 levels, each one with a different them. I made them all, my friend did the command bocks. I've unfortunately never been a part of a build team, my chance's here.

Pictures:
    Don't forget to click "IMGUR" if you can't see the albums

Here's some little flying things:

Here's a modern/minimalist house, with the Flows Flac texture pack, and then without. It's hard for a modern house to looks good without any packs, this one looks great, I only need to change the red sandstone blocks to normal sandstone, wool to clay, and bedrock to andesite, because of the custom blocks uses. I've built the interior too.

I've built the following house for a build contest hosted by a French youtuber called Defroi (150k subs rn) a year ago. The goal was to build something in one month, completely made out of wood. I've chosen to build a Fantasy manor. The youtuber visited it, link in the spoiler:
    I'm at 34:10 of the video

Here's a rustic house. I know, this one has a bit of Grian style, but it still very good.

Here's a suburban house, with the WoK FlowsHD, but it still looks very good without. You have some screens without any gardens, and some including a landscaping work, custom trees, paths, and a pool.

Here's a flying island. I enjoy building them, they're easy to make and fill the sky very well. You can see a small medieval tower, some giant flowers, bees, and a steampunk vehicle on the island.
    Note: I found the giant sunflower style in one of @Fawely's maps.

Here's an album of random builds, some of them are from MLGdrop and some are from my McBuild's map 312415 (the big Airbus in this map isn't mine).

Thanks for reading this application! To conclude, I just want to say that I will accept any kind of critism.

See you in-game.
    ~Theo92160_

Ps: If you want more builds or a specific style to show, let me know and I'll see what I can make.

2. Daveeeeeeeee

Daveeeeeeeee Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +876
    So I looked at all of your builds and i think they are pretty decent. However they aren't all at one standard, some are a lot better than others and some are worse (may be because they are older builds?). I also think as a builder, you should either be really good in either organics, Terraforming or structure or good at 2 of them. For me you are good at structure but not amazing. For me I'm good at Terraforming and organics but not so good at structure . I would like to see you build some terrain and organics. Here is a small project I'd like you to do.

A small exotic, tropical island with a variety of trees (palm trees and oaks would be good), also with some giant flowers and maybe some animals. I would say the island should be around 90 diameter but of course, it should be natural and not circular. The animals should be large but not massive.

-0.7 for now

3. Theo92160_

Ratings:
    +382
    Discord:
    Scylla#7686
    It is true that my building ability isn't focussed on one particular domain, but I don't see it as a real weakness, I often combine my knowledge on different building specificities and finish by making something decent.

Thanks for the island suggestion, I'll look up to it and try to make you something decent.

Ty for the feedback ^

4. Hitchens

Hitchens Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +413
    +1. Yeeeeeees. You finally applied!

5. deppresso

deppresso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +191
    Can't vote because I have no experience at all in building, but good luck! :grinning:

6. Daveeeeeeeee

Ratings:
    +876
    What is the point in commenting on this thread then?

Ok thanks, when you are done can you send a map id and screen shots, thanks.

7. Hitchens

Hitchens Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +413
    Just post them here so everyone can form their opinions based on more builds.

8. Toki_12

Toki_12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +412
    I think you can do it! Very creative builds, mabye work on some more detail? +1

9. Theo92160_

Ratings:
    +382
    Discord:
    Scylla#7686
    Finished the island. I tried to make the most similar to your description possible.

Map emplacement: 1.build, /map 365026 (permed sportyman56 visitor)
    Sneak peak:
    2016-12-21_14.42.02.png 2016-12-21_14.45.31.png

#9 Theo92160_, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  10. Daveeeeeeeee

Ratings:
    +876
    So I just reviewed the map quickly with @xxMineSheepxx and we both think it's actually fairly good. I think you are worthy of the bt however I would continue building up your skills so you can be sure you will be accepted. +0.7

11. Follution

Follution Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60
    The green roof house the detail is me, and you forgot to credit me, also the houses are lacks detail. and the Rustic house is grian inspired -1
    Also the flying things are -0 I unsure that
    Also your terraforming not ready yet to be in the team, needed more Style and detail

12. Theo92160_

Ratings:
    +382
    Discord:
    Scylla#7686
    I made the green house you're talking about to test the elfish style, that's why I put it in the "random builds" portfolio, because I didn't judge this house as a representative build and why I didn't credit you is because you only made the windows details, excuse me, but I didn't find that really important. Also I said that the rustic house was Grian inspired.

Concerning the note, I think it's a bit rude but it's your choice and I respect it.

Have a nice day.

Nice to read that you like it, I'm improving my building skills everyday, via YouTube and collaborations.

Thanks !

13. charlottethegirl

charlottethegirl Ex- Party JMOD

Ratings:
    +540
  14. Theo92160_

Ratings:
    +382
    Discord:
    Scylla#7686
    Ty :)

15. Follution

Follution Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60
    Please apply when you really feal your Skills are so good

16. Daveeeeeeeee

Ratings:
    +876
    Maybe you should give some constructive criticism because that means nothing to him.

17. xxMineSheepxx

xxMineSheepxx baaaahh

Ratings:
    +571
    Theo, your builds are adequate for the build team, even though they aren't the best builds, I think they are pretty decent, and you're probably worth a shot.
    It's good that you're learning from others, but it's also important to develop some skills yourselves, so you have a unique style, not a style that is really similar to others.

18. GalaThundR

GalaThundR Mcpvp Veteran

Ratings:
    +721
    Discord:
    GalaThundR#7914
    I looked through your builds and they seem ok. I personally didn't find any of your builds interesting or unique. Most of them lacked atmosphere and detail. Nothing caught my eye. The only thing that interested me was your floating island with the bees. I liked the way you used the banners for eyes and detailed the sunflower. It looked nice. It looked unique. I want more of that.
    You don't seem to have your own style from what I can tell from these screenshots. It's more of a bundle of random builds that go from mediocre to above average. You should experiment and practice with what you enjoy building the most, then branch off of it. This post to me seems like a rushed attempt to make builds for a lot of different styles to fill up the app. Please don't do that. Try to use your own ideas. I absolutely love creative builders. I hate seeing the same builds with the same shapes with the same themes over and over again. I have a bunch of different ways of thinking up ideas for builds and one of them is to just sit down and think up of random words and try to picture it in my head.
    It's good you have knowledge on worldedit. Voxel isn't as needed nearly as much as worldedit but it's still good to have a basic grasp of it.

Summarized: I think your builds are okay. I wouldn't call them necessarily good, but they're definitely not bad either. I want to see more unique and just wacky builds but still have a firm grasp on the more-known themes. Try to find your own style and work with it.
    I'll give this app a +0 for now, but I do see a lot of potential in you though.

19. Theo92160_

Ratings:
    +382
    Discord:
    Scylla#7686
    Firstly thanks for your criticism, you pointed out some points I haven't thought of, and comments always develop my skills, so thank you for your reply.

I looked at my builds another time, and found a style which I never saw anywhere, the Parisian building (third random build). Tell me if you already saw this style, but I'll doubt it, because I took my inspiration from a Lego set and never saw anything like this on youtube (YT is like a huge Minecraft database^^).

So maybe I could try to upgrade this style to make it completely unique?

20. GalaThundR

GalaThundR Mcpvp Veteran

Ratings:
    +721
    Discord:
    GalaThundR#7914
    Yea you could. Any theme can be done extremely well but it gets boring to look at the same things over and over again. You do what you want, don't let me tell you how to build. This is just my opinion and what I'd like to see from you.

Coincidentally, another way I get ideas for builds is looking at custom lego sets :smile: