1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

WORLD EDIT TUTORIAL: Masks

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Birdgirl, Jan 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +293
    Hello builders!

Today I’ve created a tutorial to selectively modify blocks with World Edit commands, also called masks.

Masks
    Masks specify block types for other commands to exclusively change. The most common use of masks in World Edit are paired with brushes.

For example, //mask dirt,air will cause brushes to only change dirt and air blocks. Using a sphere brush, you can see how grass blocks were unaffected, but dirt blocks were.

[​IMG]

However, there are more arguments to masks than blocks. To edit all but certain blocks, !block can be used. The ! is a logical not if you are unfamiliar with logic symbols. For example, //mask !air will edit all blocks except air blocks. To place blocks exclusively above or below other blocks, use //mask >block or //mask <block. The greater and less than signs specify the brush to place above or below. To remove a mask, //mask with no arguments.

Masks and Other Commands
    Masks can be used with other commands, such as //copy. For example, say we have the following selection:

[​IMG]

If I wanted to copy only the blue and green wool, but ignore the yellow, I can use //copy -m 35:3,35:3 and get the following result when I paste:

[​IMG]

Of course, it’s just as reasonable to copy/paste the original selection, then //remove 35:4 from the pasted selection, as I know many builders prefer to do.

If any other commands support a -m argument, I would be interested to know what they are.

Global Masks
    Masks can be used globally with //gmask <mask>. This applies to many more commands than its sister command, //mask, which (to my knowledge) only affects brushes. For example, say we have the following selection:

[​IMG]

After //gmask !35:4, I can use //set 1 and get the following result:

[​IMG]

Like I mentioned above, a global mask affects more than just //set. I just used it in this example. To remove a global mask, use //gmask with no arguments.

Note: For those of you who are experienced with World Edit, this tutorial is probably nothing new to you. This tutorial is aimed at those who have used World Edit before, but don’t know all the ins and outs of its commands yet.

I hope you found this helpful for future builds. If you have suggestions for tutorials I should do next, let me know!

Other Tutorials
    WORLD EDIT TUTORIAL: Spikes
    WORLD EDIT TUTORIAL: Big, big, big circles!
    WORLD EDIT TUTORIAL: Basic Terraforming

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • ELITE Honor ELITE Honor x 1
    #1 Birdgirl, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  2. Shawn_

Shawn_ Playing CTF and making maps since 2012

Ratings:
    +436
    Discord:
    Shawn the Sheep #0146
    Keep doing these! They're amazing! :grinning:

3. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +293
    @Shawn_ - any ideas for topics to cover next?

4. Brendoom

Brendoom Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98
    I never knew this was a thing! Oh my goodness very helpful thank you. @Birdgirl maybe you should cover "Terraforming" on a basic scale for world edit. I would have neglected to give you the idea soon as most of my maps are terraforming and people would be like "omg how did you do that" haha.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1