1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

Modern Style Guide: Part #2 - Common Mistakes

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Theo92160_, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. Theo92160_

Theo92160_ Worldedit's axe > Guns > Swords

Ratings:
    +382
    Discord:
    Scylla#7686
    Hey builders !

Here's the second part of my guide about Modern Style! Today's lesson is about the things to avoid when you build modern.

Planning

Yes planning your house shouldn’t be here in this part of the guide, but I forgot to add it in the previous part, shhhhh :^)
    Planning a modern house is easy and very important, it helps to not make simple mistakes of walls and the overall building will probably looks much better, everything is visualization though. Personally I use red wool for the structure, blue for the indoor walls and yellow for detailing and furnishing. Here’s and example of a planning by Andyisyoda:

wp_ss_20170304_0001.png

thickness

So, let’s (finally) start to build up these walls. I highly recommend you to make them two or three blocks thick , it’s gonna be important later to make feature walls and recess . That’s also a reason I love cliff houses, because in the mountain you have all the thickness you want xD.

Patterns and symmetry

Two things in one title because they aren’t long to explain^
    I don’t recommend you to make repetitive patters on the walls and the roof, can easily looks boring and somewhat overdetailed.
    When I say symmetry I’m talking about the general shape of the house, it’s also not a good thing from my point of view; a modern house hardly ever looks good if it is symmetrical.

Connected textures

Okay. That’s a thing you must learn for your modern houses. Connected textures are unsightly and should absolutely be avoid. If you are not sure about what we call “connected textures”, let me explain myself: two textures are called connected when they are attached to each other. Here’s an example:

2017-03-04_12.06.56.png

This small house has a lot of CT’S (gonna call them CT’S), as you can see it doesn’t looks good.
    Now the same house, without any CT’S on the outside:

2017-03-04_12.13.53.png

You can agree it is way better, not perfect because the house is very small and uses basic materials, it’s just an example eh. Anyway, you can see how I shifted some blocks and used tricks like carpets or staircases to avoid CT’S (under the ice window).

/ ! \ - Ice and glass blocks which we usually use in modern to make windows also create CT’S when they are directly attached to another block, that’s why glass panes are better than full blocks here.

Exceptions:

- connections between different glasses types doesn't count, just make sure they are not too mismatched (i.e: grey and purple)otherwise it's gonna looks odd.

- Connecting different carpets also pass well.

- CT'S inside are less unsightly because the detail amount is different. Still not a reason to make your sofa rainbow.

Curves

Don't misread that please, curves are difficult to learn but look wonderful on houses, this one is a perfect example:

wp_ss_20170305_0001.png

I want to advise you about curves on the floors. A floor with a wave shape is going to be terrible to decorate, and doesn't even look good :/

Thank you for reading!

The next part will be about walls, windows & doors, see you later!

Other parts:​
    - Part #0: www.brawl.com/threads/64860/
    - Part #1: www.brawl.com/threads/65033

Of course feedback is highly appreciated, as well as questions.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • ELITE Honor ELITE Honor x 1
    • Mod Honor Mod Honor x 1
  2. NickManEA

NickManEA Build JMOD

Ratings:
    +717
    Discord:
    NickManEA#1421
    Great guide for beginners. This could teach newbies how to avoid mistakes.

P.S.: What's the house shown in the spoiler under the "Curves" section?
    P.S. #2: Woooohhh... 100 huggles!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Theo92160_

Ratings:
    +382
    Discord:
    Scylla#7686
    I was watching an andyisyoda's video where he showed this house, I really liked its shape, so I found interesting to show it in my guides xD
    > (link would have been there - if Andy would not have deleted the video D:<)

Ps: 101 huggles <3

• Like Like x 1
  4. NickManEA

NickManEA Build JMOD

Ratings:
    +717
    Discord:
    NickManEA#1421
    Those curves are something you've never seen:

P.S.: I still see 100 hugs.

5. Theo92160_

Ratings:
    +382
    Discord:
    Scylla#7686
    Too bad, I know this house :p
    Futuristic level over 9000.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...