1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

Modern Style Guide: Part #3 - Structuring and walls

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Theo92160_, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. Theo92160_

Theo92160_ Worldedit's axe > Guns > Swords

Ratings:
    +382
    Discord:
    Scylla#7686
    Use the dark theme please, I failed the colors xD

Hey builders !

Here's the third part of my guide about Modern Style! Today's lesson is about structuring houses and walls. Ok! calm down! I said two weeks ago that I was gonna make windows and doors, eh.

Which material for this wall?
    You should have now planned your house, check the previous part if you don't know what I'm talking about. I recommend you to have an inside between 5 and 10 blocks high, you shouldn't raise up your walls too low! Basically when you structure, you can either make walls or windows, I'm gonna talk about windows later so here's my tips for walls:

I'll try to explain that clearly because it's blur, in modern, a wall may look odd if its material is illogical. E.g:
    - Stone is
    heavy and compact, it is good for a support wall, or a chimney
    - Quartz, snow or clay are
    solid and light, good for any other walls or roofs.
    - Wood is
    light, good for extra walls or indoor.

The utilisation of the materials in this house confirm what I am saying:
    maison.jpg
    Excuse the wierd quality, I didn't take the screenshot.

Repetitions
    Ah, repetitions. Don't confuse repetitions and repetitive patterns, the second is to avoid but the first is mandatory in modern in Minecraft. Every good modern construction uses repetitive structure. Let's take a look at this one, found on the Flac server (Pm me if you want the ip):

2017-03-19_13.36.15.png

Pay attention to the repetitions the builder created in this minimalist house, you can find the same design elements on different walls or the roof: the shrubs next to the entrance, the birch wood with vegetation at the top, the minimalist rectangles into the grey wall, and so on.
    The important thing is if a design element is duplicated, it will looks better than alone.

Continuity
    That's also important (everything is important in modern isn't it?), and works with repetitions. the key word here is "line up", every line in your house which is cutted by for exemple a pillar, should continue on the same block. Example from the last house:
    All the red lines are the continuities in this house.

2017-03-19_13.36.15.png
    NB: Forget continuities if you build futuristic modern

Thank you for reading!

The next part will be about windows & doors, see you later!
    Other parts:
    - Part #0: www.brawl.com/threads/64860/
    - Part #1: www.brawl.com/threads/65033
    - Part #2: www.brawl.com/threads/65232/
    Of course feedback is highly appreciated, as well as questions.

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • ELITE Honor ELITE Honor x 1
    #1 Theo92160_, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...