1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

How to Get Staff

Discussion in 'General Guides' started by SoCool21, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. SoCool21

SoCool21 Bans Reports & Appeals Admin | McPvPer for Life <3

Ratings:
    +2,517
    This counts for sheriff applications and build team applications too. I'm not too experienced with wiki team or media team applications as they are dealt with privately.

1. Make sure you meet the requirements.

The requirements are:
    • Being active in-game (at least 50 hours of in-game time on your server will suffice - this is playing just an hour a day for nearly 2 months. If you're applying to become a sheriff, you should be active on Wild West. If you're applying to become a builder, you should be active on Build.)
    • Being active on the forums (200 forum posts is a good amount to have, but make sure your posts are detailed and useful. Not a requirement for sheriff and builder.)
    • Being active on TeamSpeak (this is only for WarZ staff - if you're applying for any other gamemode, this doesn't matter, but it will help. Not a requirement for sheriff and builder.)
    • Have TS downloaded (this is for all staff candidates - you'll need it for the interview, staff meetings, and helping people in support needed if the situation involves you. Not a requirement for sheriff.)
    • Don't have any punishments in the past month. False bans, autobans and match server kicks are completely okay. Ride-alongs, conditionally, are acceptable.
    • If you're applying for builder, you must be good at building.
    • If you're applying for sheriff, you must know the handbook inside out before applying.
    Go here for a thread for some more advice on this. If you don't meet the requirements, you will get denied. Exceptions are very rarely made.

2. Put some effort into your application and post it.

This is fairly self-explanatory. Answer all the questions correctly, in detail, and don't lie. I'll be making a guide going into more detail about writing an application soon, and I'll link it here when its done. But for now, look at some of the accepted staff applications to see the level of detail you should try to have. Also, don't forget to add a poll.

3. Expect to be denied, but take into consideration all feedback by team members and staff.

Most people in our staff team do not get accepted on their first application, myself included. I see loads of people apply for staff, get denied, then never apply again. This is a terrible mindset - just re-apply.

You'll get criticism from staff members and team members - listen to it. Not all feedback will be as valuable as some people may be biased, but you can usually tell who to listen to. If people write a mini-essay of feedback for you, chances are they're experienced enough with staff candidates to have some pretty valuable feedback. You'll also receive a deny message, which'll say the following things:
    • Why you didn't get staff
    • When you can apply for staff again
    Listen to this deny message word for word. Seriously - it contains everything which caused you to be denied, so ignoring it is a really dumb thing to do.

4. Follow the advice.

As I said above, read all the criticism you get, including the denial message. Value the longer messages more, since they're often more detailed and more accurate. Do everything the messages say, consistently, until you're allowed to apply for staff again.

5. Apply again.

If your app was well-written last time, and you didn't receive any criticism on it, ask Canoodle if you can recycle your application and just update any out-dated information. You may also wish to include some of the criticism you received last time and how you improved on it.

-------------​

Its literally that simple. If you follow the criticism consistently, you will get interviewed on your second application. If you don't, you're either an exceptional case (such as if you have a very bad history of DoX, DDoS, abuse, hacking staff accounts .etc) or you didn't follow the criticism well enough.

Some things you shouldn't do:
    • Apply for staff if you just had to ask someone how you apply. If you don't know how to apply beforehand, you're not experienced enough to get staff.
    • Give up. This is the only thing you can do which will guarantee you will not get staff. You can have an absolutely terrible reputation, and still become a staff member in the future. However, if you give up and never apply again, you will never become a staff member.
    • Ignore/deny the criticism. I saw a builder app recently where experienced builders said that they should improve the quality of their builds, and the candidate said things such as "I know I'm ready" and "You're just saying that because you're already a builder" - and it was a huge shame, as that candidate had potential. People are telling you why you shouldn't be a staff member. Listen to it, as if you improve based on that criticism, people will start saying you should be a staff member.
    ^ Proof it works: this is what I did to get staff, despite being permanently banned from the forums 3 months beforehand.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • ELITE Honor x 1
    • JMod Honor x 1
    #1 SoCool21, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  2. DreadfulDNA

DreadfulDNA Well Known Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Excellent thread. It is just a shame that most people who need to read these before applying, don't. There should be some sort of way to force players to read through these threads, or at least encourage them heavily to do so.

3. xGhale

xGhale HG‘s Doom guy

Ratings:
    +1,393
    I see about a dozen things that apply to me --> I really suck at getting staff

And look how you turned out 8^)

4. Champloo

Champloo Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice and well written guide! Will be very useful for me and others.

5. xGhale

xGhale HG‘s Doom guy

Ratings:
    +1,393
    Know what the funny thing is? My app (my current one - posting it in a few weeks) checks every point ;^]

• Like Like x 1
  6. NickManEA

NickManEA Build JMOD

Ratings:
    +717
    Discord:
    NickManEA#1421
    Eventhough the thread itself is quite helpful and informative the title doesn't fit with some parts of the thread (for example it includes tips on becoming a sheriff/builder and the title reads "How to get staff").
    But otherwise, incredible thread :finger: