1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

The Role of Staff Members by Level

Discussion in 'General Guides' started by featherpaw, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. featherpaw

featherpaw Your friendly neighborhood kitten! :3

Ratings:
    +1,424
    Hey Brawlers,

I've seen many people having misconceptions about what staff do at Brawl and I figured now would be as good a time as ever to clarify what each role does. Note: Please keep in mind that I am merely stating what is posted in the jmod handbook and using my previous experiences in the staff slack, so some roles may have shifted.

Roles Ingame:
    A Jmod's job is primarily to handle chat offenses. When a staff member is first accepted onto the staff team, they are given the Jmod rank only for the server they applied for. After about 1 month, they are promoted to global Jmod, where they then have the rank on all of Brawl's servers. Their job is to monitor chat and mute flamers/harassers/hackusators/etc. Their job is not to catch or ban hackers! If they see a hacker they must record and report it just like a normal community member. There are exceptions to these rules (such as being able to kick for glitch abuse or obvious hacks like fly, no kb, etc.)
    After something called "The Hack Test", Jmods who've shown to be ready for the added responsibility are promoted to Mod. Newly promoted Mods are given a Mod handbook and are assigned to handle only very obvious cases of hackers (fly, no kb, spider, etc). For the first 2 weeks following a Mod's promotion, it is mandatory to record all hackers before banning. After the 2 week period is up, however, it is up to the Mod's discretion whether they wish to record or not. A Mod's primary job is to ban hackers and major abusers. Only if there is no Jmod online should they concern themselves with chat offenses, though most choose to help.
    An Smod is someone who oversees a specific aspect of the network. Their job is not necessarily to ban hackers or mute flamers, but rather to help with the management and organization of the different sections of a server. Once a Mod finds a job they are good at and that needs doing from a management standpoint, they are given Smod and handed an Smod handbook, which has more policies and regulations than Jmod or Mod. This is where the job description of Smod becomes vague, due to the many different tasks each Smod does. One Smod may be in charge of running CTF while another is in charge of Event Management. The main point to understand about Smod is that it is a job that revolves around managing more than banning or muting, so the ingame requirements for Smod are much more lenient.
    An Admin's job is more specific than an Smod's, and most of their duties lay offline moreso than ingame.
    Spoopy Dev stuff, basically. Most of the time, the only reason they're ingame is to test a specific part of their code, so don't be offended if they're afk in the lobby.

Roles on Forums:
    A Jmod's role on the forums is almost the same as a normal community member's. They have no added responsibilities on the forums, but are required to report all threads and posts that do not follow our rules stated here. Jmods may respond to Sheriff applications and other staff applications.
    Once a Jmod becomes a Mod they are given the Mod handbook, which shows proper policies regarding locking and hiding threads and posts. They may also delete posts on others' profiles.
    An Smod's job on the forums is mostly pertaining to IP checks, which searches for hackers' alts through the IP address they use when logging into Brawl. Aside from IP checks, an Smod has the ability to look through forums pms, lock/hide/delete/move threads and posts, and warn/ban forums members. It is most often seen for an Smod to be posting announcements regarding their gamemode as well. With the recent absense of Canoodle (our staff manager) Smods have been helping with the acceptance and denial of staff applications as well.
    An Admin's job is more specialized on the forums, and they have all the possible options of manipulating the forums, including: Creating new thread sections and subsections, logging in as members, and updating member's details (such as two-step, username, etc).

Roles on Misc.:
    A Jmod can view staff slack, with exception of the Dev, Smod+, Admin+, and Mod+ channels. A Jmod that is not global cannot view any type of report form, but a global Jmod may view chatreport forms.
    A Mod has access to all staff slack channels (exluding Smod+, Admin+, and Dev) and has access to view all report forms (but cannot handle IP bans or Permanent bans). Regarding appeals, the Mod who banned the player appealing is typically the one who handles the appeal. If the appeal is not handled within a couple of days, however, another mod or Viva will typically handle it for them. If a player needs to be IP banned, the request is passed along in the IP ban slack channel for an Smod to take a look.
    Smod's have access to all staff slack channels (exluding Admin+ and Dev), can IP ban players, can handle IP ban appeals, and typically are in charge of other subgroups (such as Dasky being head of Media Team).
    Admins typically make the bigger decisions revolving around Brawl and most often have a set section they reside in. They are most often the final decision-makers in an argument/debate.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Freedom_35

Freedom_35 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +440
    Good thread! My only advise would be to put Developer under Admin, because Admin sort of controls who gets to BE a developer, and they just have all-round more power. But good idea making this thread! :smile:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. EmperorTrump45

EmperorTrump45 Dank Memer

Ratings:
    +2,157
    did you know developers develop?

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • ELITE Honor x 1
    • Mod Honor x 1
  4. 13kss

13kss Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +330
    Dev =/= admin

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Freedom_35

Ratings:
    +440
    Nah, admins have more power :stuck_out_tongue:

6. percnowitizki

percnowitizki Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +589
    wait what

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 13kss

13kss Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +330
    That's also not completely true.
    Admins don't have access to all the code and stuff. Idk, you should ask feather

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. NickManEA

NickManEA Build JMOD

Ratings:
    +717
    Discord:
    NickManEA#1421
    Incredible thread. I can find it very useful for future staff members who are willing to know more about their upcoming responsibilities.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Freedom_35

Ratings:
    +440
    My personal opinion is that admin is the highest rank (except owner). They can fire, hire and de/promote people, including developers. I see what you mean with Devs and coding, yet I still think Admin is higher (just my opinion, no offense to any of the developers).

10. 13kss

13kss Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +330
    Tbh i didn't read it cus i already know it. Or i like to think that I know it

11. featherpaw

featherpaw Your friendly neighborhood kitten! :3

Ratings:
    +1,424
    Admins don't hire developers. That task is strictly up to Putty (and chap)

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. 13kss

13kss Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +330
    Chap good meme

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. Freedom_35

Ratings:
    +440
    I did not know that. I thought Cuddled and Roke did that sort of thing. But the admin rank is still higher in my opinion.

I did not know that. I thought Cuddled and Roke did that sort of thing. But the admin rank is still higher in my opinion.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. NickManEA

NickManEA Build JMOD

Ratings:
    +717
    Discord:
    NickManEA#1421
    You're already in a staff position.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Lekosa1

Lekosa1 mineman

Ratings:
    +1,677
    also incase someone didnt know builders build

oh and the owner (@chickenputty) does some ownering stuff

16. Ceyll

Ceyll Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +471
    my brain is hurting now I thought builders made codes

17. Lord_Roke

Lord_Roke Forever the Forums Watchdog
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +3,225
    Moderating chat is still part of a Moderators duties, no matter if JMods are online or not. However, as hacking is a far more serious rule violation, hackers should be handled first.

This is a common mis-conception about becoming an SMod. Usually staff members are not promoted to SMod because they are good at a single thing or passionate about a server. Instead, they need to show skills in all areas, meaning mainly activity, maturity and also performing beyond the standard duties expected of them. They don't need to excel in all areas, but they should be at least above average. We are also very careful about who we promote to SMod, so under-performing in some areas can not just be balanced by doing more in other areas.
    Fun fact: The SMod handbook is about 5% as long as the Mod/JMod handbook.

Mods and JMods have almost exactly the same permissions on the forums and the same protocol. The only difference is that JMods are limited to the Gamemodes section (which is the most important one though), while Mods have these permissions everywhere. Mods also can not delete profile posts.

I wouldn't call IP checks a part of the forum, but that is hairsplitting. SMods can not look through forum PMs.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1