1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

Why are Permanent Bans (IP) Restricted to Only SMOD+ ?

Discussion in 'KitBrawl' started by Jeaton, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. Jeaton

Jeaton Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Recently on Kit, I've noticed a great deal of IP ban evaders. Usually they aren't even remotely sneaky about the fact that they're evading. However, the mods online are never able to do anything about it. Often these players continue closet cheating like they did before being banned, and it's just a giant waste of time having to babysit a toxic cheating ban evader hoping to get quick ban-worthy evidence when the player isn't even supposed to be on the server and could be banned in mere seconds if mods were able to issue evasion bans.

Why are mods not allowed to perm-ban? Are they not trustworthy enough? Was the entire purpose of JMOD not to test someone to see whether or not they're ready to be a true mod? Why is such a common occurance forced on to the few busy (or inactive) high staff? I personally see no benefit.

Edit:

Just to give an example https://www.brawl.com/history/player/Monster_Slayer08

I'm still waiting to see this player get IP banned. If he had been using less blatant reach, he still wouldn't be banned, and there would still be a ban evading cheater on Kit actively lowering the player count.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. 19kss

19kss 18kss

Ratings:
    +736
    no

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sayan

Sayan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +153
    @19kss

4. 19kss

19kss 18kss

Ratings:
    +736
    cool, could I care? no

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. featherpaw

featherpaw Your friendly neighborhood kitten! :3

Ratings:
    +1,424
    Handling IP's is a risky business because of the possibility of someone's IP being leaked, dosed, or otherwise handled badly. Mods have abused in the past and smod's are not normally in charge of handling situations that require their entire attention. Therefore, I believe they're the best suited to handle IP banning.

6. SoCool21

SoCool21 Bans Reports & Appeals Admin | McPvPer for Life <3

Ratings:
    +2,517
    In short: all staff (including jmods) get access to /alts. This is a very basic alts check which isn't very accurate. SMod+ get access to a fancy alts check which is much more accurate and in depth. The reason that regular mods don't get access to this is the fancy alts check shows player IPs, and in the past Brawl has suffered from a lot of leaks. As well as this, anyone who uses the fancy alts check would need to be taught how to use it, which takes up a lot of time from admins who could be doing other stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Lekosa1

Lekosa1 mineman

Ratings:
    +1,677
    What people have said above, and I'd say MODs have a way higher risk of abuse so it's just good SMOD+ have access to such information.

8. Jeaton

Jeaton Member

Ratings:
    +12
    If mods are still untrustworthy after the JMOD phase, then it sounds like Brawl is having difficulty giving ranks to the right people and should maybe be undoing some of them. Seems like this is just another example of Brawl's inefficiency.

9. SoCool21

Ratings:
    +2,517
    This is fundamentally against how any organisation works...

Mods don't need to be able to ban alters. As long as IP checks are dealt with in 24 hours (which, from my experience, they are) then alts are being banned quick enough. So, since mods don't need to ban alters (unless they're obviously hacking), they don't need access to the IPs.

Sensitive information like people's IPs should be given out on a need-to-know basis. Simple as that. Leaks are inevitable, in anything (not just Brawl), so we should do everything we can to reduce the chances of them happening. This is how any organisation with access to sensitive information works.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. featherpaw

featherpaw Your friendly neighborhood kitten! :3

Ratings:
    +1,424
    Couldn't have said it better myself, socool.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FlagRecovered

FlagRecovered Active Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I see ban evasion within KitBrawl all the time but I just continue to record and report because there isn't much an ip-ban would do either. These ban evaders just use cracked Minecraft accounts and come on repetitively, auto-ban after auto-ban, unless they essentially get bored or a moderator isn't actively permanently banning their accounts.

A majority of my hacker reports are from one person with multiple cracked accounts and a lengthy punishment history of auto-bans on each given account. The other day I saw players like Touchie who are supposedly ip-banned. I'm not sure what Brawl could do to fix this other than players and moderators doing their part respectively to keep this community enjoyable.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SoCool21

Ratings:
    +2,517
    ^ This.

The only way that alters can be stopped is if we attack the source of their alts. For example, reporting websites selling cracked Minecraft accounts to the company the website host. It is usually against their TOS to do this. It's something Hypixel does and has worked quite well, Brawl doesn't really have the resources to do this, though.

13. xGhale

xGhale HG‘s Doom guy

Ratings:
    +1,393
    The issue also has some roots on Twitter and Facebook - you can literally buy 200 alts for under 5€ :V