1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

Denied Merrals Builder Application

Discussion in 'Denied' started by ssiah, Mar 21, 2020.

?

Should Merral get Builder?

1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. ssiah

ssiah Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Minecraft Username
    My Username is "merral"

Timezone -
    I live in Arizona, . Currently, because of the time change, it is identical to California timezone in few places.

Would you consider yourself experienced with WorldEdit? Why? -
    I've had years of experience with World Edit. I was Senior Builder for a little over 4 months before being promoted to SMOD on M4Play, and in that time was able to learn, and retain a lot of information about the plugin. I also downloaded the World Edit Mod and tampered with it for many hours daily, building mountains, skyscrapers, and entire cities. I love it and could work with it for hours on end.

Would you consider yourself experienced with VoxelSniper? Why? -
    Personally, I'm not very experienced with the plugin. I'm very willing and able to learn it. I can retain information about these kind of plugins. I'm very willing and able to learn any plugins that are needed.

How active would you be on Brawl's Build Team?
    I'm on for at least 4 hours a day, recently due to the recent pandemic I'm able to be more active than usual, but I can easily commit 2 hours a day (likely closer to the night after school takes place) and can give multiple hours daily.

Why do you want to join Brawl's Build Team? -
    After the Christmas build Competition, I was able to speak with different Mods, along with the newly accepted "AURailing" about my build and from that point they had told me that I should apply for builder. Past that point I hadn't thought of it much, until recently as the new Mc-WarZ map was announced to begin it's construction, I was asked again by many people. I decided I would give the position a go, and feel as if I would be a valuble asset to the building team at this time.

What would you consider your greatest strength with building?
    I would say either houses or terraforming. I have a lot of experience with building complex houses, with many years of practice as I've been playing Minecraft since early 2013 and building has always caught my attention. I would build houses, and tear them down until they were completely perfected. Along with that, recently I've gotten the opportunity to work with Terraforming more, and have been able to master the concept much better. In my pictures posted at the bottom, it will include both houses i've built, along with some terraforming.

What would you consider your greatest weakness with building?
    I can confidently say my statues could use a lot of work. I've recently been working on them, along with my detailing on Hypixels "Build Battle", where I have the opportunity to build whatever word I'm given. The concept of being able to make statues well is a rough one for me, but I am ready for the challenge of perfecting the ability.

List any previous experience you have with building -
    Over many years I've played with building, up until recently where I have practiced becoming better with the skill. I have put hours upon hours on building and plan to continue to build upon my skills (no pun intended). As I continue to grow in my building ability, I hope I will be able to also assist the Brawl community with any tasks that require tackling.

Side note:
    With any further questions, or if you are wanting to see more builds, please let me know. I'm still working on some projects and i'm wanting to show what I can do. Feel free to PM/Add me on discord, Siah#0433 :smile:

Pictures:
    Click to view imgur album!

Not entirely sure why the "Multi-Themed Islands" aren't loading, but if you click on the link it should bring you there. I would like to apologize for beginning this application journey with a portfolio that was lacking. I recently built the event arena for the WarZ Event, happening tomorrow on March 29th, 2020. After the event has taken place, I will upload pictures of the event arena.

ID's : 303799 | 437273 (The volcano I did on a friends map because I ran out of room on many others. I'm not 100% positive the ID of that specific map @Zaid )

#1 ssiah, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  2. AURailing

AURailing Hmm

Ratings:
    +30
    Discord:
    AURailing #5840
    Definitely vouching for you on this, I have seen you work live and I can clearly say that you would be a great addition to the team, with all the projects we are currently working on, I know you would be a great benefit. +1

3. crowmeme

crowmeme Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +42
    Discord:
    crow#7509
    texture pack is so square it be lookin like a roblox map reject lmao

jk!

4. Fordale

Fordale Queen

Ratings:
    +80
    Discord:
    Fordale#4520
    Although you have some skill with building, I do not believe you are up to standards yet. With more practice with a variety of styles I think you will be well on your way to becoming a builder.

For the next time you apply:
    -Consider using Imgur for a better album. Some pics were posted twice, little bit of a pain to scroll through.
    -Try taking pics without texture packs, as they can be confusing or make things look worse than they are. Also add some more angles in shots.

Good luck!

5. Yupper

Yupper A big bot on warz ❤️

Ratings:
    +96
    Discord:
    brix#6941
    Some would maybe say these pictures are bad, but if you just get a theme/thing to build im 100% sure you would do a good job, as i know because your helping me building stuff. You're also very helpful on build and it looks like you have world edit under control
    +1 from me

Good Luck

6. ssiah

ssiah Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I definitely appreciate your feedback. I would completely agree with you on the pictures, though idea if I could possibly speak with you in discord displaying a few builds, and maybe you could give me some better tips, I hope I could change your mind. If you are at all interested, feel free to add me whenever :smile:

I appreciate it!

7. muslim_vin

muslim_vin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    You have some skill, but I don't think you have enough skill for the build team. Try practicing more.

A few tips I can give
    Don't use sapling or (Notch) trees, they aren't pretty. Make your own trees because custom trees look a lot better.
    Let your terrain flow when you build, so don't make it rough, let it blend like I have here
    upload_2020-3-22_16-44-23.png

It looks a lot better if you blend it and let it flow as shown.

One last tip is that you don't repeat the same house design over and over again, make different designs for houses and give it more variety. If it doesn't have variety it looks too uniform and boring.

8. ssiah

ssiah Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I appreciate the feedback and tips! These photos are not my best work and i'm completely regretting submitting them xD. I'll be changing the photos with much better work with terraforming and terrain. I would completely agree with everything you've said though, the houses were completely repetitive and the terrain was patchy. Defiantly have gotten work and practice done since these screenshots, considering the christmas themed build was for the Christmas build challenge.

I uploaded a new build, and on imagur. I will be adding shortly. Thanks for the tips, again :stuck_out_tongue:

9. Jaemzs

Jaemzs Ex-Build Team Member

Ratings:
    +170
    Discord:
    Jaemzs#5643
    your builds are not even slightly impressive im sorry bro -1

10. NodusMeSenpaiPls

Ratings:
    +4
    I've recently just sat in a discord call with you and looked at you build and have seen some of the other builds you have done. You definitely have potential and determination. I feel like you should be given a shot because you have more projects in the works and the ones you have done are very nice. +1 Goodluck buddy. Keep on building and helping us out with events!

11. TenseSmash

TenseSmash Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi merral, I would just like to say that personally none of your builds stand out to me. They don't look very detailed or structured at all.
    Also you used a texture pack and shaders, next time please include pictures without those things.

-1, builds just aren't impressive.
    pogger.png (sorry i love this picture)

12. ssiah

ssiah Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for the feedback, I personally feel as if "Shaders" add a cool touch to the photos. I strongly feel as if my builds are good, and they very clearly improve day by day. I do really appreciate the feedback and tips though, thanks man :smile:

13. Ice_Bear1

Ice_Bear1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +126
    Ice Bear says you have potential but maybe not brawl build team standards, which Ice Bear must say are very high. Ice Bear would like to give critique build by build.

Skyscraper- Ice Bear thinks this one is unique and has some nice complex shapes going on however without the context of surrounding builds it looks very awkward alone. Ice Bear can see this looking great in a futuristic city however.

Volcano- Ice Bear says the shape seems quite good and the eruption looks spectacular with the smoke clouds and everything however, the lava is too much and obscures a lot of the build. Ice Bear says this is a fairly easy fix however. Another thing is that because of the shaders it makes it very hard to judge your skill with detailing and pallet choice.

Multi-themed Islands- Ice Bear says it looks nice and you establish a good atmosphere but it isn't particularly impressive. Ice Bear says that it is something that most moderately skilled builders can do. Ice Bear says and one last thing the building in the bottom left corner looks a bit awkward.

Riverbed- Ice Bear says this looks nice just like the multi-themed islands but it is something that most people can do. Ice Bear would definitely try to increase the scale and make more difficult natural formations. Ice Bear says making a large hill with many trees would be an example Ice bear says adding trees to a diagonal surface and making it look good is quite a challenge something like that would really show your skill with terraforming.

Rustic Village- Great terraforming. Ice Bear thinks that is the best part of this build. However, Ice Bear feels the houses let the build down. Ice Bear says they are fairly generic and don't really push the boundaries of rustic houses. Ice Bear is generally against over detailing and loves a more plain build because it gives a clean look however, for rustic houses they really do need some more ornate parts especially on the larger ones. Ice Bear says they aren't bad its just that they could be much better.

Rocket- Ice Bear says this shows that you can work and build with complex shapes but it just doesn't look that great because of the nature of spheres in minecraft. Ice Bear is not exactly sure what to add to this build since Ice Bear isn't familiar with it.

Ice Bear thinks you have a lot of potential which joining a build team could help you reach but Ice Bear feels you need to work on some more fundamentals till you are ready. so -1

14. ssiah

ssiah Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    xD Thanks IceBear! This was actually super fun to read. Uploading a new portfolio soon with much better builds, I really do appreciate the feedback though, and fully agree with everything you said. Thank you!

OUCH! Yeah texture packs defiantly aren't the move. Wasn't aware at the beginning of this all :stuck_out_tongue:

15. xxMineSheepxx

xxMineSheepxx baaaahh

Ratings:
    +571
    Hi Merral,

Following our past conversations on Discord, I have re-evaluated your new builds. Whilst showing tremendous improvement since the beginning of your application, it unfortunately still does not reach our standard. You have a good sense of shape and layout, but I want you to work on how your detailing looks, and what kind of depth you are putting into your builds - your sense of aesthetic and detail will come as you practice more, and depth can be achieved by creating more indentations and protrusions, as well as interesting shapes rather than something that's mostly squarish. Work on the comments given above as well, they are really helpful.

I want you to keep on trying! The dedication you have shown me (before you fell inactive for other reasons), is extremely impressive, and that kind of attitude will help improve your skillsets quickly. You have potential, but you just need more time.

Denied. Please reapply again in at least 1 month.