1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

Idea (Slightly) Nerf Golden Helmet

Discussion in 'MC-WarZ' started by StrikerSly, Apr 16, 2020.

?

Nerf dat?

1. Y

88.9%
  2. N

11.1%
Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. StrikerSly

StrikerSly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +745
    Recently, Golden Helms made a return to WarZ (which I was excited about) as a prize for events to the winners. I truly believe they do deserve a distinct prize like this since it brings hype and competitiveness to events, especially the XvX ones.

However, what I noticed is that it is pretty advantageous given the length of time it lasts on the winners, which is a month. Here is what I've gathered:

The golden helmet is Prot V, which appears to protect better than Prot I diamond in some cases.

I do not know the durability or if there even is a durability, so I can't compare that. Since Gold = Iron in terms of protection, I found this: [​IMG]
    However, I'm no expert on this EPF stuff or armour comparisons, but based on some research it is clear that Prot IV iron (Prot IV gold) armour compares well with regular diamond, even Prot I diamond shown above.
    Observably, the lower bound on the Prot IV iron (note that the golden helm in WarZ is Prot V) is only 5.6% less than that of the Prot I diamond, whereas the upper bound shows an increase of 8.8%. A simple calculation of the average protection for Prot IV gold would be 84%, which is HIGHER than the maximum/upper bound of Prot I diamond. Further, the helmet given in WarZ is Prot V (which I couldn't find the exact range of protection for) which presumably has a much higher reliability and maximum protection value. The last paragraph in the screenshot also seems to agree that the prot IV gold helmet would be better in short PvP situations (basis of WarZ), and we have the Prot V instead. Therefore, the golden helmet does appear to protect more than the current best helmet in WarZ that us peasants have access to.

If Prot V behaves differently than Prot IV in terms of protection calculations then rule this argument out. The rest also contribute to my case though.

The golden helmet is given to the player every time they respawn.
    This is a good idea for a prize, and the players are probably deserving of something like this, but lets consider the benefits from this over a month:
    - Immediate advantage when spawning, less one-shot potential which is crucial in fights
    - Only need to loot for 3/4 of the armour pieces
    - If there is no durability, players never have to worry about the helmet breaking. Otherwise, ignore this point.
    - Players only need 1 piece of diamond to be "3/4" (not one-shot) rather than 2 for bottom half diamond, again, crucial
    - Instantly given the equivalent to or greater than the current best helmet in the game upon any respawn, combined with 3 pieces of diamond, becomes extremely tanky especially with diamond boots (Prot I). If my point on greater protection is wrong, it has been confirmed by staff that the helmet is AT LEAST the equivalent to the Prot I diamond helm. So your combos will be less likely to kill the player than normal in every single fight because they have 100% chance of getting a Prot I diamond piece and you have a significantly less chance of that. The fights are not balanced in the long run considering your armour rating will be much less on average

The golden helmet lasts one month
    If multiple events are run per month, this gives multiple helmets per month (assuming the trend continues), which increases the potential for multiple members in one team having the helmet. Considering the arguments above, this is doubly unfair.

The recent event gave multiple golden helmets out for a staff vs. players, which doesn't seem to hold up to the standard and hype of the helmet. Since its so advantageous, why are we dishing them out on staff vs. players, let alone two. tdaddy's idea was a good response to this, which is only give them out during XvX events, and if X > 1, then host a small FFA for the winning team that determines who gets the helmet. However, I don't agree that the helmet should last one month. If staff decide to keep the helmet as Prot V, it should last two weeks max, especially considering winners of the events get a rank prize as well.
    [​IMG]
    This event gave the helmet + an additional 30 days of a rank. This was a 1v1 event, which frankly is the only thing that should drop the helmet in general since it's a pure test of skill, no imbalanced teams or luck events like staff vs. players.

It also seems that since January, 6+ players have already had the golden helmet, which is more players than months since. The hype will end up dying and the game will become a tank fest if the pattern continues.

Rumor: Elo is not affected by the golden helmet
    I heard this rumor that is also likely to be true, but this will be the final point since it is unconfirmed - that elo does not take the golden helmet into account during its calculations. So, if a player dies in 3/4 diamond and the golden helmet, only the 3/4 diamond will count whereas the head-piece will show the player is wearing nothing since gold is normally not in WarZ. If this rumor is true, the player wearing the helmet will lose less elo than or equal elo to the iron helmet at all times despite it being equal to or better than the diamond helmet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In my opinion, nerfing the helm to Prot III-IV alone would be a reasonable change. It still would be a desirable helmet and would last just as long and whatever other benefits it has.

Another possibility could be to reduce the time it's given to a player. I suggest a 1-2 week duration.

An absolute necessity would be to give it out less often. 6+ players having it since January doesn't seem to live up to the standards that it had back in the day, if I'm not mistaken.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #1 StrikerSly, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  2. NMHRODMAN1SBEST

NMHRODMAN1SBEST WarZ | Ex Staff

Ratings:
    +342
    I think you're looking too far into this. It's a fair reward that isn't just a rank and is very unique in-game. It doesn't have a significant effect on gameplay, but is good enough to justify trying to win.

3. StrikerSly

StrikerSly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +745
    I explained why it is not fair in the thread.
    I do agree it is unique, but it can be tweaked slightly so it still remains desirable but is more balanced for a game like WarZ, refer to my solutions at the bottom of the thread.

4. DonFruitLoops

DonFruitLoops Turn you to a boss

Ratings:
    +19
    Discord:
    wiz157#0013
  5. Sparrowx

Sparrowx WarZ Staff

Ratings:
    +24
    Discord:
    Sparrow#1954
    I agree with you Striker. This is definitely a controversial topic in the community right now with many complaints, so I think it is something worth changing, but only slightly. Regardless of any of these changes, the helmet does need to be accounted for in elo.

The idea of making it Prot IV would be ideal since it would weaken the helmet a bit, while still making it strong enough to hold value in the community. Speaking of value, I think you are spot on about the helmet being given out less (way less) in order to sustain its hype. I agree, that it should never have been given out at the staff vs. players competition. In my opinion, only one should be in the game at a time, and they should be given out at every event that tests pure skill, as you said.

Lastly, there does not need to be a golden helmet in the game at all times (back-to-back). Therefore, I think the duration should be set to 2-3 weeks depending on how often the staff plan to host XvX events. If they are going to occur more often, make it 2 weeks, and vise versa.

• Agree Agree x 1