1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

Focus Thread: Player Retention

Discussion in 'MC-WarZ' started by RyGuy, Feb 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. RyGuy

RyGuy developer man

Ratings:
    +1,067
    [​IMG]
    Hey Zombies!

So, a very well known problem is that WarZ has a relatively large knowledge gap to truly get into the game. This is going to immediately discourage new players, as there is not a lot of true PvE in the game for them to do at the moment, and they're just going to get killed by a Full D and immediately log. To do with, we'd implement much more PvE (you can contribute to that discussion through this thread), as well as working to help decrease the knowledge gap in the game.

In my mind, the three key areas to do this are upgrading the sublobby, ensuring we have a proper practice server, and incorporating more helpful in game tools.

Sublobby
    • Ensuring that there is enough descriptive information in the sublobby regarding playing the game
    • Fixing the parkour (completely QoL and for fun)
    • Allow all information on each server to be accessible from the sublobby by interacting with the server NPC in the sublobby
    • What else can be done here?
    Practice Server
    • Recreate WarZ 20 with an optional FFA arena with kits
    • Include a practice zone on the server for just practicing combo's onto zombies (toggleable settings on whether or not you want them to be moveable)
    • Would you guys like to see any other upgrades here?
    In-Game Tools
    • An improved tutorial system - the previous tutorial had way too much information and not enough action, no players are going to want to sit through that. Need to figure out a balance of fast-paced and informative
    • A help gui with as much information as possible regarding WarZ as a whole, to give the player as much information as possible to the player on how to play
    • What else do you think can be done to help out new players?

We'd love to here if you guys had any more ideas regarding helping out new players!
    - WarZ Staff Team

2. cld_r

cld_r Active Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I find myself playing with alot of new players when my team is off as I enjoy trying to teach them how to play, and doing my best to get them fighting and (hopefully) winning without them losing too much of their own stuff, and while I honestly feel like this would be an extremely controversial implementation, I feel like it could be extremely beneficial to new players and increase retention. I believe that if a system could be implemented wherein those below a certain level of elo (Scavenger, maybe citizen or something like that) would have the option (default turned on) to block all damage (and stop from being able to be tracked) from those above said elo level. While not fool proof considering that some people play on new alts, I believe that this optional barrier would allow new players to more enjoy themselves on the server, and fight amongst themselves without the worry of full teams in full diamond dropping on them before they learn how to shoot their guns. I'm sure this idea would need more tweaking, however this would be able to prevent a significant amount of new players who leave after being killed with all of their "good" loot (whatever they think that is) and give them time to learn how to play, as idealistically when they start to rise in elo they should be learning how to get better. It'd be the kind of thing where you have the option to turn the feature off, however it's a one-time thing and once it's turned off it can never be turned on again (To prevent abuse). It'd also probably end up reducing elo farming off new players as some players tend to enjoy doing.

Open to any suggestions on how to tweak this idea of course, but I think something along the lines of it could be very beneficial to new players.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1