1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

The Army of Cats (TAC) 6 Year Anniversary

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by randomcitizen1, May 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. randomcitizen1

randomcitizen1 The schizophrenic swagmoneymillionaire

Ratings:
    +2,543
    Time for some Brawl history. Today marks the six-year anniversary of The Army of Cats (TAC). For those of you who don't know, this was a group formed to propagate the greatest fad to ever hit the forums: having a custom cat profile picture. If memory serves, the fad first struck sometime in 2014 around a year before The Army of Cats was formed. The earliest I can find the link being shared on the forums is on a May 24, 2014 post on Scoat2's profile here. (If you can find earlier evidence of cat activity, let me know.)

Other than simply spread the idea of having a custom cat profile picture, members of The Army of Cats were set to giving a warm welcome to incoming players from McPvP since this was around the time of the merge. You can learn more about The Army of Cats thread here.

As evidenced by the poll, the group was also formed with the intent to spark a friendly rivalry with people who liked anime. The reasoning was that the group wouldn't last if it had nothing to oppose, nor would it have been as meaningful or controversial to be a part of. It was thought that a little drama was needed to make it interesting, and that is exactly what arose. An opposing faction, the Anti-Cat Alliance, was formed to oppose the group. You can learn more about this group on their thread here.

After a lot of good-natured banter, cringe, and a frighteningly large number of users on the forums all with similar cat avatars, the fad died out after a solid month. If memory serves, this lasted longer than any of the previous similar wars or fads before and since. The threads both accrued a fairly large amount of replies as well. It was an all-around good time. At the time of writing this, a few profiles still have these pictures (at least @Prewritten, @Tuggers03, @Glasfaser, @PlebienPikachu, and @HurricaneLuke).

If you have any memories from this time, feel free to share them. Also, if you have any knowledge about the initial cat fad, please share that as well. I'm not sure how that started, but I vaguely remember (or misremember) it involving @Rainys.

I post this thread today to commemorate this brief moment in Brawl history and to repost the link for creating a custom cat avatar since the previous one no longer works. If you would like to create your own custom cat avatar, you may do so here.

Random Citizen out.
    [​IMG]

2. featherpaw

featherpaw Your friendly neighborhood kitten! :3

Ratings:
    +1,424
    It was a good read! I'm sad that I missed the fad :frowning:

3. randomcitizen1

randomcitizen1 The schizophrenic swagmoneymillionaire

Ratings:
    +2,543
    Nothing's stopping you from making a profile picture now. :v Cat's are always in style.

4. featherpaw

featherpaw Your friendly neighborhood kitten! :3

Ratings:
    +1,424
    One of us. One of us