1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

About autobans.

Discussion in 'Suggestions / Ideas' started by dasth, Jul 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. dasth

dasth Active Member
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +21
    I think autobans should be removed or their duration shortened (or
    fixed). They are a great tool for banning cheaters, but they also ban innocent people for "speed" or "fly" even if they are running normally or not flying. It's stupid!

• Like Like x 1
    #1 dasth, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  2. featherpaw

featherpaw Your friendly neighborhood kitten! :3

Ratings:
    +1,424
    You say that until you've been in a game with someone who's actually hacking, gets autobanned, then immediately comes back. it's for the greator good to have one innocent accidentally autobanned than it is to force an entire gamemode of people to deal with a legit hacker.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dasth

dasth Active Member
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +21
    I've been banned twice in the last 3 days

When it comes to banning cheaters, sometimes they don't ban them at all, only Moderators

4. featherpaw

featherpaw Your friendly neighborhood kitten! :3

Ratings:
    +1,424
    Don't get me wrong, the anticheat could use some work (what anticheat doesn't?) but I think you're missing the important point here, which is that it's still better to occasionally ban the wrong person than to not ban the right one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dasth

dasth Active Member
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +21
    The main reason it doesn't work might be because it banishes innocent people. And the waiting time for appeals is quite long

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Warrey

Warrey Former WarZ Staff

Ratings:
    +67
    Discord:
    Warrey#9081
    Will look further into this

• Like Like x 2
  7. Axe_the_Miner

Ratings:
    +0
    Correct me if I am wrong. But I believe that autobans ban innocent people is due to a player's fps drop or lag.

EDIT: I just got banned for speed on party. When I was afk so there is 100% something wrong with autoban.

• Like Like x 1
    #7 Axe_the_Miner, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2021
  8. dasth

dasth Active Member
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +21
    There is something wrong with that!

Automatic bans for AFK, false speed and flying

Update: I have received AutoBan three times in the last 6 days, which excludes me from playing for 3 days

the bans were issued: on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday

#8 dasth, Jul 17, 2021
  9. Squidward

Squidward BEST WARZ SMOD NO KAPPA (ง'̀-'́)ง

Ratings:
    +405
    Discord:
    Jay#3599
    You don't know how bad it is lol you really think it's once in a while but it's every day that 80% of bans are false /shrug

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. redslime

redslime Lead Developer

Ratings:
    +1,141
    Discord:
    redslime#8503
    First off I'm sorry to hear that you are not having a good time with our anti cheat system. I've made some adjustments for Party which might help a bit. Ultimately though, we are always curious to get more information about false bans and more importantly what a player did right before they were autobanned to find and fix false positives. Thank you making this thread and pointing out issues. You can help us even more if you are able to record false bans and send them to us so we can evaluate the footage.

I'd be really curious to know where you got those statistics from. The truth is that out of the last 400 autobans only around 10% were unbanned through an appeal or similar. I know that doesn't exactly represent the number of correct autobans but it's a good indicator. What is a better indicator is that 35% of players that were autobanned in the last 400 bans are even permanently banned now.

• Like Like x 2
  11. dasth

dasth Active Member
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +21
    In a word of introduction, it will be hard for me to register an Automatic Ban because I don't know when it will come.

Information about AutoBan can be based on my words so far, ie what happened before AutoBan

AutoBan is hard to catch when it suddenly bans

As mentioned above, AutoBan can ban for speed when the person is AFK

I believe you are constantly trying to improve your games. Automatic bans are good, but I can point out that low FPS* or PING* may also be the reason for the lock. Most of these autobans are for Speed, not for flying. My suggestion is to set an allowed limit for the Run and users who exceed the limit would be banned.

In the near future, if I get banned, I will try to describe in detail or catch the ban and post it in this forum.

And before the summer update, there were no such situations (maybe 2 times, but with a long time interval)

When I get banned, I can't play and the waiting time for appeals is quite long. Ban will be gone by now.

*Why am I talking about FPS and PING? Usually my FPS is below 60. (It's my device's fault) and PING - My ping is also weak sometimes, as far as I know the server is in North America and I live in Central Europe so there may be some lag due to this.

I think it was a good decision to create this forum as others will also be able to comment on it

• Like Like x 1
    #11 dasth, Jul 17, 2021
  12. SoCool21

SoCool21 Bans Reports & Appeals Admin | McPvPer for Life <3

Ratings:
    +2,517
    I've reviewed almost every single autoban made on CTF and WarZ for the last 2 months. 20% are false, at most. We get 1 or 2 false autobans per day, which certainly ruins the game for those 1 or 2 people, but the alternative is letting hackers get away with hacking indefinitely during off-peak times, which ruins the game for everyone.

I definitely agree that the autoban needs improvement - 20% is still far from ideal, and we need to handle autoban appeals more quickly.

We actually used to have a gamemode, War, that was unable to have any autoban system at all. It was infested with fly hackers, and the amount of hackers that just got away with cheating contributed heavily to it's decline. Having the entire network like that is certainly not a better alternative.

I would definitely be open to changing how autoban durations work. 1 hour for your first autoban, then increase the length of autobans if you get more in a short amount of time. This should reduce the frustration of getting falsely autobanned, while still protecting the server from cheaters effectively.

• Like Like x 2
  13. dasth

dasth Active Member
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +21

I agree with it. The AutoBan system should be rebuilt in such a way, for example, that it will take players whose accounts have existed for a few short periods of time or players with a low rank (e.g. Goomba or Boo for a party). I am fully aware that other grades can also cheat.

I know it may not be easy to write this code, but you can always try.