1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

[WIP] Tracking guide

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Phinary, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. Phinary

Phinary Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +131
    On our Brawl Survival server you are able to build "trackers". These are structures that you build inside the world that can be used to find the coordinates of a player, and (hopefully) the location of the wonderful base which that player has. I will try to make this guide as in-depth as possible, but this is a WIP so there may be missing information.

- Tracker Basics -
    Terms

In the picture below we see a basic Emerald Tracker. The center of the tracker is a emerald block, the arms are iron blocks and the ends are gold blocks.
    [​IMG]

Basics
    The basic idea of trackers is you build a structure, and you can use it to figure out players that are within a certain distance. There are arms on the tracker, and those arms determine how far in that direction you will be able to track. For example, if one of your arms have a tracking distance of 500 blocks, typing '/track all' will show you all players within 500 blocks of that tracking distance in that specific direction. Trackers do not need to have arms in all 4 directions. To be a valid tracker, all you need is an arm in at least 1 direction. Here is a image to sort of clarify this concept (thanks @Reptoid44):
    [​IMG]

- Tracker Types -
    There are 3 types of trackers each type being slightly different. Every tracker has a specific scenario that it is useful in. To start, lets first clarify the parts of a tracker:
    Temporary Tracker
    Middle
    -> Obsidian Block
    Arms -> Cobblestone Block
    End -> Stone Block
    Tracking Distance -> 25 + (25 * Arm Length)
    Notes -> This tracker will delete itself after 1 use. This tracker is great for quickly building a tracker when you know you are near the location of a players base. I recommend you use a permanent tracker to track the rough area of someone, then use temporary trackers once you get near that player.

Diamond Tracker
    Middle
    -> Diamond Block
    Arms -> Obsidian Block
    End -> Gold Block
    Tracking Distance -> 25 + (25 * Arm Length)
    Notes -> This tracker will take a long time to create and your arms will have to be quite long if you want to track long distances. The plus side of that though is if someone raids a diamond tracker, it will take them a very long time to mine all the obsidian arms.

Emerald Tracker
    Middle
    -> Emerald Block
    Arms -> Iron Block
    End -> Gold Block
    Tracking Distance -> 50 + (50 * Arm Length)
    Notes -> I like to consider this tracker as the high risk - high reward tracker. It is really expensive to create a tracker of this type, but once you have one tracking people will be faster. The downside of this though is that if someone finds the location of your Emerald tracker, since the tracker's arms don't need to be as big and it isn't made out of obsidian, stealing the items from the tracker will be very easy.

- Techniques to using a tracker -
    The basic technique to using a tracker is pretty simple, but also extremely time consuming. The more you practice, the better you will be at tracking others. To improve speed, I recommend you track players with at least 1 other person to help you. To use trackers effectively, what you want to do is first figure out who your target is. Stand on the center block of your tracker while it is set to maximum range and type '/track all'. This will show you all players that are in range. Pick one of these players and now it is time to start tracking. What you want to do is move the end block of your tracker around the arm of the tracker. Each time you move the block type '/track <player>'. The point of this is to try and pinpoint as accurate as you can the position of the player. Keep moving around that end point until you are at a situation where moving it one block closer to the center of the tracker will cause the player to not show up on the tracker anymore. Congratulations, you now know where that player is in the direction you were tracking accurate to 25 or 50 blocks. (Use the command feedback to figure out the distance you are tracking). Now you need to do this in 2 different directions, one to figure out where the player is on the X axis, and another to figure out where the player is on the Z axis. Once you have those distances from the tracker, do a little bit of math with minecraft coordinates and you will be able to pinpoint almost exactly where a player is. Gear up and head out to where you believe the person is. If you have trouble finding them use temp trackers to your advantage to look around the nearby area quickly. Remember that trackers ignore the Y-Coordinate so they can be as high or as low as Minecraft will allow them.

- How to avoid being tracked -
    The best way to avoid being tracked is to never stay in the same location for too long. Don't go AFK while standing in your base and if possible don't store your items all in the same place on the map. Remember, tracking takes quite a bit of time, so the more you don't stay in one location the harder it will be for others to pinpoint your location.

- Conclusion -
    If you have any suggestions or questions, please post a reply to this thread. Tracking is a complicated and often tricky process, but the more you practice and get the hang of it, the better you will learn and come up with your own tricks to tracking other players.

• Useful Useful x 10
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    #1 Phinary, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. Verasium

Verasium Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +345
    Nice guide! Will help new players a lot!

3. Piky

Piky Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,539
    Very nice guide! :3

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. _The_Ender_Boss_

_The_Ender_Boss_ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Very useful! Thanks a lot for this!

5. Mojang

Mojang Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +185
    I didn't even know about the other types of trackers. Very helpful, thank you for this. :wink:

6. Carsonn

Carsonn #1 WarZ Looter

Ratings:
    +523
    Discord:
    Carson#2211
    Finally, some confirmation on the specific details of trackers! Thanks; this will definitely help!

7. Reptoid44

Reptoid44 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This will help out with players new to the concept of tracking. When it comes to raiding this will be your best friend!

8. ChickenNinja

ChickenNinja Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335
    Nice tracker guide! I never knew there were 3 types of trackers to use.

9. cBeeaR

cBeeaR Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61
    You should make an advanced one showing how to make stacked trackers. And what they do.

10. Lord_Roke

Lord_Roke Forever the Forums Watchdog
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +3,225
    I were so surprised when you told me there are 3 types of trackers :V I only saw the picture on puttys post, so I thought the emerald tracker is the only possibility.

11. cBeeaR

cBeeaR Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Not only are there those, but there are stacked tracker, huntslos, and so much more.

12. Paul

Paul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +904
    Do you think you could make a more elaborate tutorial on how to use this?

Using what I learned from this - I still find it very difficult to track other players / figuring out how to use it.

13. VforVenom

VforVenom Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +187
    I've heard of people that stack trackers on eachother and type /track on each one so they can kind of pinpoint their location without even using temporary trackers. If you know what i'm talking about can you provide some pictures to make it easier to understand.

14. F1r3tar

F1r3tar Highly Established Member

Ratings:
    +1,826
    Wow, so this explains how people have been able to find extremely hidden bases, like Flub's. :woot:

15. xXBearPvPXx

xXBearPvPXx Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +256
    Thanks for this, very helpful!

16. Alienpiggy

Alienpiggy Member

Ratings:
    +7
    DANG. Griefing is way more easier now.

17. flyingllama4

flyingllama4 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +57
    Are you saying that stacking trackers doubles the distance amount only one tracker could show?

18. VforVenom

VforVenom Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +187
    No, stacking trackers and changing the position by one block will narrow coordinates

19. x38

x38 Active Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Sweet guide. Maybe if you have a YouTube channel you could make a video. :grinning:

20. ActuallyMe

ActuallyMe Banned

Ratings:
    +62
    Love you LOVE YOU XD like the guide :smile: