1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

Idea Stop posting join messages for servers with more members

Discussion in 'Capture the Flag' started by Greenfoot5, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. Greenfoot5

Greenfoot5 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Discord:
    Greenfoot5#2535
    There have been two threads recently about lowering casual size limits. That's one of the reasons to do this. The main topic, is this message when joining a ctf server:
    [​IMG]
    It should be the other way around! "Players are trying to start a game, why not give them a hand?" Especially, if that server is full, and I don't have a rank. I can't join that server, and it will redirect me to the other ctf server, which is even more empty meaning I leave the original server I was in? None of it makes sense. Ok, let's break this down a bit.

1st, encouraging players to join a half-full server is great, rather than having two rather empty games. However, when capacity servers are advertised, it means the chances that players will join a new server and get a second game going. I've just had 10 mins where we couldn't quite get 4 players, so a second game couldn't get started. So, my main suggestion here, is that once a server hits 45 members, don't broadcast it to other game servers. imo, it shouldn't be broadcast at all if

2nd, let's say game 2 is full, and I'm in game 1 trying to start a game. If I click that join button in chat, it tries to join, I can't as I don't have a rank, and then it puts me in game 3! I can understand that it's the way it's made, but in a practical sense, it doesn't work. It means I leave the game 1 server, making people think I've left, meaning they're more likely to. To fix this, if a join fails, just put me back in my original server. You could even just compare the currently limit to the player count and see if I have permission to join, rather than getting me to try joining.

3rd, Small games are not given priority. This is ok, but it can drag players from the smaller game, meaning that players can leave the game, and join the bigger one, causing team imbalance, and also it can drop below the critical 10 members, meaning no credit or achievement progress is made. This means that smaller games should appear above larger games when two appear.

4th, One of the other things, is once you've got a game going, it doesn't actually tell anyone else. It would be great to see a little popup in chat like this but looking a little like this:
    Code:
    > A new game has started!
    x Map: Blackout 4/50 [JOIN]
    You could also have a note when players have been waiting a while like a "Some players are trying to start a game" would also be really nice.

These are all QoL improvements, but I think they would really help when there isn't quite 54 players in ctf, or there are 55 but 3 are impatient. It would also help solve the issues of the player cap without a change to the player cap (I'm for the reduced player cap, but even if the limit's 40, you still have the same issue when there are like 43 players, one full game, one that cannot start).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Kathrarg

Kathrarg New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I personally prefer games with larger numbers of players, so I wouldn't want to see the cap reduced. But I do think there's something to be said for trying to draw people to smaller games rather than automatically herding everyone towards the largest. I don't know what joining methods most people use, but when joining in Minecraft multiplayer through the old mcctf IP, it tends to take me directly into the biggest game at the time. I usually seek out the biggest game at any given time, but I wouldn't mind having to make that choice rather than being sent there straightaway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 666zarpin_simp

Ratings:
    +4

#3 666zarpin_simp, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2020