1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

Idea Eliminate respawning during fall towards void

Discussion in 'Capture the Flag' started by Smartheads, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. Smartheads

Smartheads Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Better title (see discussion): Eliminate cheating death using class select commands

There's an issue, which can be pretty annoying if it keeps happening to you. I'm talking about, when people cheat death by jumping out of the world (and then quickly respawn so you don't get the kill). Note, this also applies to void swapping (about 80% of people, who get void swapped respawn and don't give you the kill).

The technique goes as follows: just before someone is about to kill you, jump off the side of the map (also works if you get void swapped), then while falling apply all steak and respawn using a class command (i.e. /heavy). If done before taking damage from the void, you will not be killed (and the player previously fighting you will not get credit for the kill).

The solution to this in my mind would be to check the y coordinate of the player when he selects a class, and if the player is lower then the bottom of the map, then kill him before respawning (giving credit to the last player who damaged him).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #1 Smartheads, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  2. Zarpin

Zarpin #1 6ᴏʙʙʏ ꜰᴀɴ & ʙʀᴀᴡʟ ᴠᴏᴛᴇʀ (◕︵◕)

Ratings:
    +32
    Discord:
    zarpin#5115
    Maybe in casual this could work. But in competitive, if an elf gets swapped off the map or even hit off, they have the ability to fly back up. And if the kill area is too high, then it would ruin this ability.

3. Salty_Ivan

Salty_Ivan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Discord:
    Whale#7514
    It's only when people select a class.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TomD53

TomD53 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162
    Are you suggesting that we should not be allowed to respawn at all, or that we should be made to receive a death?

5. scapezar

scapezar Ex-Ban/Appeal Manager | Ex-Hack Test Manager

Ratings:
    +453
    Discord:
    Jul13n#9311
    Totally agree. How about... if you enter /<class name> when you are not on top of a block, you will die and the last person that hit you will get the kill. And as normal, you will respawn to whatever class you typed out.

If you enter /<class name> while standing on a block with full health, then no death will be added as you respawn.

Thoughts? @915 would that be possible to code?

• Like Like x 1
    #5 scapezar, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  6. Salty_Ivan

Salty_Ivan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Discord:
    Whale#7514
    You can do that midfight too (and I am guilty of doing this quite often lol), how about just not standing on spawn blocks.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Zarpin

Zarpin #1 6ᴏʙʙʏ ꜰᴀɴ & ʙʀᴀᴡʟ ᴠᴏᴛᴇʀ (◕︵◕)

Ratings:
    +32
    Discord:
    zarpin#5115
    Oh, I missed that part, my bad.

8. 915

915 CTF Developer

Ratings:
    +90
    I like Ivan's version because it really only makes sense to allow class changes without penalty in spawn. Also comes out to a one-liner (@scapezar)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Smartheads

Smartheads Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I would be cautious with that one, since many maps don't allow you to just go back to spawn once you've left it (spawn is elevated by 2 blocks). Also, I think it would be a major inconvenience, since you would then always have return to spawn to change (i.e. your on offence (safe, so not in pvp), and you realize a different class would be better. Now you have to go back to spawn to change).

What if there would be a timer on the class selector (commands), counting like 10-15 seconds from when you last incurred damage. This of course in addition to having max health and standing on a solid block as @scapezar suggested.

• Like Like x 1
  10. notfleb

notfleb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Discord:
    Forleb#6785
    use a system that detects their inventory, not their y level. if the player's inventory has all items fully accounted for INCLUDING things Medics can't restore, then do not inflict the death, as you are gaining nothing. however, even if something like an Elf is missing an arrow, inflict the death because they will technically be gaining something from the respawn. this rule shouldn't apply to every missing item imo, so the following list should cover most exceptions to consider for instances that competitive CTF still "needs" the current system for:

Allow Respawn:
    • If Medic web > 0 (no glass pane)
    • If Chemist buffs are missing (maybe fire res too? thoughts?)
    • If Necro skull = 2 or 3 (losing not gaining)
    • If Dwarf sword is enchanted (losing not gaining)
    • If Engineer speed pad is missing (retrievable item)
    Any other missing items will result in death.

i'm not sure what to do about Mage since it never loses items and has a potentially infinite health pool, but in both casual and competitive we almost never see them abusing this glitch because Mage can fend for itself indefinitely and there's no point to respawn for items. Fashionista would also be a ***** to code, but with it being the only premium class, i think we can just exclude it because 99% of people play it for the memes.

11. Smartheads

Smartheads Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I think that might be a good idea for competitive CTF matches (i'm not a competitive player), but it's an overkill for simple casual CTF. In casual, the main problem is that people use the class commands to avoid death rather than trying to gain a competitive advantage by refilling items.

I think in casual a simple delay (see prev post) would be enough (you might not even need to check for y level, because the delay would be longer then the fall towards the void).