1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

Idea CTF is dying. I think it can be saved

Discussion in 'Capture the Flag' started by aGingerThing, Aug 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. aGingerThing

aGingerThing Member

Ratings:
    +1
    CTF is Dying!
    it can be saved

ok, so there are all these posts about CTF dying. It is, but with all the ideas I have seen through these posts, I think it would be revivable and maybe even boost Brawls player count. I think this post will summarise all the suggestions in the many posts that complain about the fact that CTF is currently dying.

It is too hard to understand
    so I have read a lot of people saying this and currently yes it is. but I think all it needs is an interactive/ in-game tutorial and for the class merchant to actually work so that players have time to read the classes and to stop people getting mislead and not capturing the flag and just killing it would help to sort out when tokens are handed out and how much.

It takes too long to get into
    I think an extra minigames lobby or something easy to understand and easy to play for a while (long enough to find out and understand CTF) unlike CTF, Raid, and Warz. I think the introduction of the well-known SkyBlock will help with this and I think party games also help. I was also thinking maybe a dungeons/mob arena sort of game would help as it would be quite easy to understand and if done in a level format could slowly introduce more interesting mechanics.

Hypixel is too big
    Yes it is, but there are many games that they haven't done and many that they have done in a very specific/different way. and with this, I think brawl could adapt some of the popular game modes, and brawl has already done it because to me it seems that Raid is a fun twist on Survival and Factions with an aspect of 2B2T as it has no claims. and I think this could be done with CTF and KoTH two very popular games.

Brawl hasn't got enough people
    Currently at peak times brawl does (just about) but at normal times not really. I think more advertising and a few more updates would probably help.

The Tutorial is a 15-page book
    most people don't want to read much and they can't read that much in the short amount of time before the game so maybe add access to a tutorial of some sort in the lobby. the other option is to make the game more simple which could be done but I think it would be better done in another game mode.

Competitive CTF is extremely small now
    I don't know how many teams are left but I think it is small I think the only reason this is, is because there isn't any form of advertisements in the lobby and requires people to either go on the discord or go on the forums and look about for 10 mins to find that someone said there are only 7 teams left.

Other things that would help
    1. not have the game pay to win (make the classes free straight up as well as making the classes 1 per person) but could still gain money by making the classes upgradeable.
    2. maybe make one of the new game modes a sequel and put it on the MOTD as we found out that when Hypixel gets DDoSed people came to brawl, meaning people still have Brawl in their server list.
    3. add a timer on how long you can hold the flag so that you don't get people running around and not actually capturing the flag and making it really annoying to win I was think something like the time it takes to cross the map x 1.5 as the time. suggested reply 3 rmure
    4. reply to this post with anything you feel needs adding or removing and why

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Mod Honor x 1
    #1 aGingerThing, Aug 21, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  2. __Miracle___

__Miracle___ Active Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I would like to point out that we already have a massive thread opened for this same discussion.

3. rmure

rmure Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    earlier this year i tried playing some casual ctf games and i called out this one dude for throwing the game by running around in circles with the enemy flag instead of making an effort to capture and got dogpiled by everyone on the server, on the discord and the guy i called out targeted me for the next 2 games. people also got upset when throwing casual games was banned in april. just saying that's probably why ctf is dying

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. aGingerThing

aGingerThing Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes but it is all spread out throughout 36 replies, part of the reason for this post was to pull all the points together into one place.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. featherpaw

featherpaw Your friendly neighborhood kitten! :3

Ratings:
    +1,424
    OMG the exact same thing happened to me a couple days ago! I don't understand the need to hold up games. Lately I find I can't play casual because there's no incentive to actually play; and those that do make the effort are ganged up on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rmure

rmure Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    its gotten that bad? jesus
    ctf.png

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. IndexArray

IndexArray Member

Ratings:
    +1
    just dont be bad

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. rmure

rmure Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    so i should pick up the flag and stand in 1 spot spamming healing potions, ignore teammates when i'm playing a class specifically dseignated to help teammates and have shift key orgies with enemy players in order to be good at the game. got it

tbh mods should just have no mercy and ban everyone who does this kind of thing. especially returning players. their absence will pave better way for new players

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. 13kss

13kss Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +330

#9 13kss, Aug 24, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  10. featherpaw

featherpaw Your friendly neighborhood kitten! :3

Ratings:
    +1,424
    Isn't there already a rule that states that you cant do this? If there isn't there really should be. It's frustrating as all get out to be stuck as one of the only players trying to play.

11. rmure

rmure Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    there is/was but it probably was repealed or stopped being enforced because, you can guess

#11 rmure, Aug 25, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  12. Mnkynoodles

Mnkynoodles ur mother

Ratings:
    +38
    Cross - teaming is still a rule, just no mods care lmao. There's probably is 1 mod for every 10-15 mods that actually care about the rule.

• Like Like x 1
  13. aGingerThing

aGingerThing Member

Ratings:
    +1
    They were talking about sitting there with the flag and not doing anything. Making the game impossible to win.

14. Mnkynoodles

Mnkynoodles ur mother

Ratings:
    +38
    What i mentioned was something in general, sitting in flag and not doing anything is against the rules and related to this.

15. Vacume

Vacume Member

Ratings:
    +1
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. EmperorTrump45

EmperorTrump45 Dank Memer

Ratings:
    +2,157
    five years ago you could block an entire flagroom with turrets and no one cared

• Funny Funny x 4
  17. IndexArray

IndexArray Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No, kill them

18. Forleb

Forleb Retired CTF Manager
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +89
    Discord:
    Forleb#0943
    CTF is going to flatline very quickly through the rest of the year. With school starting back up and the community generally working more from just growing up, availability will continue to plummet as it already has. Soon there will only be 4 teams left - the absolute minimum before seasons etc. become undoable. Casual will never not be an active mistake volcano that prevents rosters from replenishing, and it is truly the fault of the majority of the community for refusing to publicize the competitive scene. Once that fourth team disbands, nothing will be left to rebuild on, at least in any remotely reasonable amount of time.

Some of us have tried to be optimistic through it all, but we're at the point where it just doesn't mean anything. On the bright side, Brawl will have the opportunity to grow the rest of its assets a fair bit, given that CTF is undoubtedly the most time consuming branch for them. Brawl itself will probably survive for a good while, but CTF has mutated so violently that player inactivity alone is lethal at much higher player counts than with other games.

CTF can not be saved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. rmure

rmure Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    that isnt nice

20. IndexArray

IndexArray Member

Ratings:
    +1
    nice is for nice people