1. Welcome to the Brawl website! Feel free to look around our forums. Join our growing community by typing /register in-game!

Idea CTF is dying. I think it can be saved

Discussion in 'Capture the Flag' started by aGingerThing, Aug 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Please be aware that this thread is more than 30 days old. Do not post unless the topic can still be discussed. Read more...
  1. rmure

rmure Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    yeah and killing is for kill people

2. IndexArray

IndexArray Member

Ratings:
    +1
    PTFO

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rmure

rmure Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    gonna spam that in ctf chat now, thanks

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. ZBoy3210

ZBoy3210 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I've touched on this play method earlier as killing Brawl CTF and 100% differing from the way the server is promoted to potential new players. Casual is a mess of cross-teaming and messing around on a server promoting itself as team PvP. Though, it was brushed aside just like this entire topic of CTF dying off.
    This has been an ongoing and repetitive discussion with many key points people agree on. Also, there are many threads and Discord topics like this too. Bottom line is, no meaningful changes are actively being made and a staff response was given on a previous thread displaying complete denial of any issues. We are wasting our time and energy on these topics when almost nothing is acknowledged. Brawl CTF is going to continue slipping and at this point, it deserves to.

• Creative Creative x 1
  5. Dequoy

Dequoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +50
    As for fixing stalemate games, "radioactive flags" would be a funny but purposeful idea too... Once a flag is removed from its home base, whether continuously held or repeatedly passed to others, it would become increasingly radioactive (or "poisonous"). As it remains off its home base, the removed flag behavior goes through phases for up to 3 minutes before being forcibly returned automatically:

-- 0-90 seconds after being stolen: Normal poison damage behavior as it exists now for any enemy who holds the flag.

-- 90-120 seconds after being stolen: Any enemy who holds the flag suffers poison-like damage twice as often as normal, while also suffering twice as much damage from each occurrence.

-- 120-150 seconds after being stolen: Any enemy who holds the flag suffers poison-like damage three times as often as normal, while also suffering three times as much damage from each occurrence.

-- 150-170 seconds after being stolen: Any enemy who holds the flag suffers poison-like damage four times as often as normal, while also suffering four times as much damage from each occurrence.

-- At 170 seconds after being stolen: Any enemy currently holding the flag dies. Whether still held or dropped, the enemy flag becomes so volatile that it vaporizes if it's not successfully reclaimed by any members of its own team by this 170-seconds-later mark.

-- 170-180 seconds after being stolen: If a flag is not returned, and vaporizes, then it ceases to exist at all for 10 seconds (to discourage extreme exploitation of capturing by spam healing a flag carrier in a stalemate game when one flag will ultimately vaporize very shortly before the other flag would, with both flag holders lazily standing at their flag base awaiting an automatic flag return). Compasses would point toward the flag base where it will ultimately respawn at.

-- 180 seconds after being stolen: Vaporized flag respawns at its home base.

Granted, this COULD introduce a new type of trolling with players timing a volatile flag just right and dropping it onto a teammate to grab and die very soon after, but this can be deterred by other tweaks as well if need be (such as a "No flag carry" toggle, or a flag particle effect to advertise that it's getting very dangerous to hold, etc).

#25 Dequoy, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  6. rmure

rmure Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    just wait until you find out poison and radiation have drastically different effects

7. Dequoy

Dequoy Active Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Heh! That's very true - especially for biology. But of course in Minecraft I control many identical block-head robots, one at a time, which poison should really only affect as far as things like a liquid poison wrecking circuitry or something like that I suppose. :laughing:

So why would I say one of "many" robots? Not because I control multiple accounts, but because other players in CTF games tend to break a Dequoy robot and then a new one needs to be shipped to spawn for me to start controlling that one and so on.

Come to think of it, machinery should be more resilient to radiation than biology as well...but in the spirit of fairness and all, it would have to break my Dequoy bots just as much as it would wreak havoc on living cells.

8. Shared

Shared Member

Ratings:
    +1
    bold of you to assume we want it saved

9. BrosBeforeHoes_

BrosBeforeHoes_ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +230
    Ctf will never grow and brawl I dont think will grow anymore. It's been drastically decreasing for so long, and with inexperienced/incompetent staff, I dont think theres alot that can be done (or said) to save it. Dont get me wrong there are some staff that have dedicated so much. (Respect to yall) but those who do nothing and tell us things are happening #soon, shame on you. Soon isnt going to save a server. Getting things done will and making sure to add and test newer things and ofc advertisements which ctf doesnt really have any main advertiser.
    Lots of things not mentioned in this list could be done. Pps( it shouldn't take a post like this for people to realize or the staff team to know what needs to be changed and done to make ctf and brawl decent)
    Imo the main issue with brawl is it is incompetent with others and most of the people who play on brawl are either toxic or people who afk 24/7 just to get rewards.

I have to say, ctf is pretty fun when it has players. But when it does no staff are ever really online to enforce rules except for @Zarpin

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. ZBoy3210

ZBoy3210 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I only play Minecraft in spurts lately due to having more commitment outside of gaming, but lately whenever I look to play CTF, many times there are 0-10 players online? Has this become a new average/norm all of a sudden or what?
    CTF is literally dead.

11. rmure

rmure Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304
    i barely even play minecraft anymore nor do most of the people i knew playing it as kids. just not very fun or engaging anymore. i guess if you played mc in the early 2010s you just get burned out by this point and thats why brawl has sizzled out even if most of the community was still here since brawl hasnt had much exposure since. but with those dream smp dickweeds being the current wave of minecraft players i think thats a good thing

• Like Like x 1
  12. _DmacK_

_DmacK_ Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I think this post and the replies miss the main reason why CTF is dying. There is nothing new that is being added to the game. Literally nothing has changed... it's not exciting anymore. There are literally hundreds of ideas that people post in the forums but staff either doesn't bother or doesn't care reading through the posts to try to make the game new in different ways.

Brawl takes for granted the fact it literally has the best CTF server on minecraft. It does nothing to spice up the game and it's honestly so unfortunate. Everything is so competitive based now that staff is too afraid to add new classes to the casual gameplay which would make the game fun again.

If Brawl genuinely wants to improve and revive, which I genuinely believe is possible, it needs to start heavily advertising its CTF server again. It's possible, but I genuinely believe the staff does not care enough to do this. One of the oldest CTF servers in minecraft is going to be dead because staff can't be bothered to listen to its players. What a loss.

13. BrosBeforeHoes_

Ratings:
    +230
    And some staff are biased

14. Forleb

Forleb Retired CTF Manager
    Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +89
    Discord:
    Forleb#0943
    I've been listening. I have relayed everything worth consideration directly to the staff team since the day I was accepted. As of today, we are devising a roadmap for CTF that will be maintained & followed to the best of our abilities. We are actively discussing the changes that need to happen, and fully intend to go through with those changes once we have finalized them. What matters now is that progress is truly in motion - this game will not die so long as we have people willing to work on it. However, this means that we must complete this overhaul process before we heavily advertise it. CTF to the public eye is already dead to most of us, but I believe I've done everything in my power to solidify the objective of reviving it.

This is extremely vague...

15. _DmacK_

_DmacK_ Member

Ratings:
    +11
    It's nice to know that there are staff members like yourself who are actively pushing for change and making our voices heard. This is good feedback, I'm looking forward to rejoining CTF in the near future to see what kinds of new changes have been implemented.

• JMod Honor JMod Honor x 1
  16. ZBoy3210

ZBoy3210 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Got online for the first time in a while with a whopping 8 others. There are so many issues I see and virtually no evolution. CTF has honestly slipped beyond a point of recovery in my eyes. Honestly, what is the point/goal of CTF currently?

17. Forleb

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +89
    Discord:
    Forleb#0943
    CTF is beyond a point of recovery in any timely manner. There is currently a severe bottleneck in CTF's developing power, as we only have 1 dedicated Dev who has a very busy life, while all other Devs are primarily focused towards games that have actual roadmaps & marketing potential - aka everything except CTF. CTF has been isolated from the evolution it needed for several years, so playing catch-up is going to take some very big strides that we are currently discussing. There has been an incredible amount of conversation between players from every walk of experience in this game, so a vast majority of the information we need to move forward is known... we just don't know how feasible it is yet. Once we have a grip on management & our roadmap, I'm sure the important answers will rapidly appear to all of us.

• Like Like x 1
  18. BrosBeforeHoes_

Ratings:
    +230
    Don't get your hopes up too much. Ctf in general is a dying gamemode

19. Forleb

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +89
    Discord:
    Forleb#0943
    This definitely looks to be true for CTF as we've known it. The mistake in all of this was prioritizing a customized & isolated version of the game, leaving only so much time before we inevitably got to this stage. The general agenda is to truly make CTF a Brawl gamemode and not this team exclusive league. Once again, the logistics on achieving an optimized outcome for CTF are still not certain, but will be made known in due time.

20. jango_bob

jango_bob ᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼᲼

Ratings:
    +15
    ctf and party killed the player base for the better servers. most people were decently happy with war and warz and fpshg and the gun gamemodes that actually made brawl. brawl lost its roots and the rest of the tree started decaying.

• Agree Agree x 2